Monday, April 5, 2010

Black Bananas


As a kid I can remember my dad giving my mom a hard time about the black bananas on the counter, and now I get the same strange look about those fermenting black bananas. But, when it comes to great banana bread it's just what you need. My mom gave me her recipe, and I make it pretty regularly. The best part about making it is that you use the bananas after they have gone black. The bread doesn't come out the same if you use just slightly brown, and don't even try yellow! It takes a nice deep black, and they need to be a little smooshie. It sounds nasty, but believe me! Let me assure you there is not a single complaint when the bread is being devoured. Until it's gone that is, and then we wait for the next batch to "ripen".




Nana's Black Banana Bread

1/4 cup butter 3/4 cup sugar 1 egg 3-4 "ripe" bananas 3 Tblsp milk

2 cups flour 1/2 tsp baking powder 1/2 tsp baking soda 1/2 tsp salt

Cream butter and sugar. Beat in egg bananas and milk.
sometimes if I'm feeling a bit spunky I put in a little vanilla and Cinnamon

Mix in dry ingredients.
Makes one loaf or about 18 muffins
Bake at 350 for 45-60 minutes for loaf and 20-25 minutes for muffins


3 comments:

Branch Family said...

Sounds yummy! I can't keep banana's around long enough to turn black. Maybe if I hide them.....

stella g. said...

make sure Lindsay sees this. she LOVES black bananas. :)

Anonymous said...

yummm how wierd..i have 3 black ones waiting to call mom for the recipe!! wish me luck hehe - katie

Followers